The European Federation for Medical Informatics Association (EFMI) is the leading organisation in medical informatics in Europe and represents 32 countries. EFMI is organized as a nonprofit organisation concerned with the theory and practice of Information Science and Technology within Health and Health Science in a European context.
The objectives when founded in 1976 were:
- To advance international co-operation and dissemination of information in Medical Informatics on a European basis;
- To promote high standards in the application of medical informatics;
- To promote research and development in medical informatics;
- To encourage high standards in education in medical informatics;
- To function as the autonomous European Regional Council of IMIA