National EFMI Member Society
About the Member Society
The Romanian Society for Medical Informatics, RSMI, is a scientific, professional, non-governmental organization aimed to promote the activities in the development of medical informatics in Romania and to represent the activities in the country and abroad.
RSMI was founded in 1990 and has now over 120 members: physicians, computer scientists, engineers, mathematicians and other professionals working in the field of medical informatics. It continues the tradition of a group of specialists who started to work in this field in 1977.
The activities of RSMI concern stimulation and co-ordination of the activities of its members in promoting medical informatics in the country and to support international co-operation in this field, which implies:
- organizing scientific and professional conferences, symposia, courses and exhibitions and collaboration in such activities with related organizations;
- publication of scientific, professional and educational documents and papers in the field of medical informatics;
- dissemination of information about conferences, publications and links to websites web sites on medical and health informatics
- promoting scientific and professional contacts with similar societies at the international level;
- active involvement to support scientists to attend international meetings
- collaboration with Romanian Academy and the Academy of Medical Sciences in medical informatics research;
- collaboration with medical universities in developing education and training in medical informatics.
Romania was represented as a corresponding member in IMIA since 1986 and RSMI has become a full member in 1994, having now representatives in several active working groups of IMIA and EFMI. In the same year 1994 RSMI also joined EFMI.
RSMI members serve in several professional and scientific committees and also in various expert groups of the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Education. RSMI president was recently elected as EFMI vice-president. RSMI is an institutional member of “Prorec Romania”, a national society promoting implementation of EHR in Romania.
During 2004 RSMI members participated in two major international events: STC2004 in Muenchen and MEDINFO 2004 in San Francisco.
At a national scale RSMI kept the tradition of yearly conferences, The 27th Conference, organized in co-operation with the University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Targu-Mures took place in October 14-16, 2004. The 2006 event will be organized in Timisoara, April 5-8, as a joint conference with EFMI: 2006 Special Topic Conference.
RSMI website: www.srimed.ro
For further information on the member society please visit their website using the link above.